What is 9-1-1?
9-1-1 is a single emergency telephone number that makes it faster and easier for anyone in the City of Cornwall to reach emergency services such as police, fire or ambulance as quickly as possible.
What is an Emergency?
A situation where the safety of people or property is at risk. Examples of 9-1-1 emergencies include– a crime in progress; a fire or a medical crisis and urgent assistance is required.
When Should You Use 9-1-1?
Use it when you need it....Need it when you use it!
HOW DO YOU USE 9-1-1?
- If at home dial 9-1-1. (Do not enter 9-1-1 on your speed dial).
- If at a business or other location, you may need to dial an outside line before dialing 9-1-1.
- If at a pay phone, dial 9-1-1. No coin required.
- If using a cellular phone, you should give the exact location of the emergency including the City or Town.
- T.D.D./T.T.Y. (Telephone Device for the Deaf) after dialing press space bar intermittently until a response is received.
- Your call is answered, the 9-1-1 call taker will ask: police, fire or ambulance? Indicate the emergency service required.
- With 9-1-1 service the address you are calling from will automatically be displayed to the emergency call taker. Please note this does not apply to cellular phones.
What to Teach Your Children About 9-1-1.
Do your children know how to get help in an emergency?
- Teach your children how and when to get help from 9-1-1.
- Teach your children their address and telephone number as soon as they are able to learn.
- Keep it posted by all phones in case they are unsure.
- Tell your children to answer all of the emergency call taker's questions and stay on the phone until they are told to hang up.
- Teach your children about the dangers of making prank 9-1-1 calls.
If You Accidentally Dial 9-1-1
Stay on the line until the 9-1-1 operator answers to verify that there is no emergency.
- If you do not stay on the line, the 9-1-1 operator will call you back.
- If the operator does not get an answer, the Police will automatically be sent to your address to verify the situation.
QUESTIONS THE EMERGENCY SERVICE WILL ASK...
Remain calm (this is the hardest part) and speak clearly.
- Listen and answer the 9-1-1 operator's questions.
- Be prepared to stay on the line with the 9-1-1 operator, if needed.
- DO NOT hang up until the call taker advises you to do so.
WHAT ARE THE DANGERS OF 9-1-1 PRANK CALLS?
Prank 9-1-1 calls waste time and money and can also be dangerous.
- If 9-1-1 lines or responders are busy with prank calls, someone with a real emergency might not get the help that they need.
WHAT IF YOUR COMPLAINT IS NOT AN EMERGENCY?
If your complaint is not an emergency dial 932-2110, the non-emergency number for the Cornwall Community Police Service.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIAL 9-1-1?