Cornwall Police Service

Suspension of Records (formerly Pardons)

Suspension of Records for Criminal Records are granted through the Parole Board of Canada.

A record suspension (formerly a pardon) allows people who were convicted of a criminal offence, but have completed their sentence and demonstrated they are law-abiding citizens for a prescribed number of years, to have their criminal record kept separate and apart from other criminal records.

Under the Criminal Records Act (CRA), the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) may order, refuse to order, or revoke record suspensions
for convictions under federal acts or regulations of Canada.

If it has been five (5) years (summary offence) or ten (10) years (indictable offence), since you completed your last sentence, you may apply to the Parole Board of Canada for a record suspension. Everything you'll need to know is included in a booklet put out by the Parole Board of Canada, which is available at the links below. 

For updated information on the suspension application process and to determine whether you meet the new eligibility criteria for a pardon, please consult the Questions & Answers.

Click here to access the Pardon Application Guide & Forms.

Booklets, as well as step-by-step instruction packages are available with the Receptionist at Police Headquarters, 340 Pitt Street or click here.

Should you require any assistance with the process, please feel free to contact the Records Department at 613-933-5000 ext. 2401.

Contact the Records Bureau