Police Week – Building Bridges: Celebrating Police Community PartnershipsPublished on May 14, 2023
Cornwall, ON – Sunday, May 14th, 2023 marks the official launch of Police Week 2023 in Ontario. The Cornwall Police Service (CPS) is pleased to join police services across the province for the annual event.
Police Week is an annual recognition week that focuses on increasing community awareness and acknowledgement of police services, while strengthening partnerships between police and those they serve. It is an opportunity to recognize all members of police services for their strong commitment to keeping Ontario safe.
Since 1970, Police Week has taken place in May to coincide with Peace Officers Memorial Day, which is internationally recognized on May 15.
The provincial theme for 2023 is “Building Bridges: Celebrating Police - Community Partnerships.” This year’s theme provides an opportunity to celebrate the collaborative efforts of police services with their communities and local partners to combat local priority risks and address overall community safety and well-being in Ontario. It also highlights the importance of these partnerships that encourage an integrated approach to service delivery and emergency response efforts.
“In addition to our amazing employees, the many community partnerships that the Cornwall Police Service holds continues to be one of the greatest strengths of our police service,” said Stephanie MacRae, Director of Corporate Strategy & Communications for the CPS. “We are privileged to have so many incredible working relationships with partners in various sectors, including health, social services, education and of course, law enforcement. Together, we work collectively in support of our vision towards ‘A Safer Cornwall.’”
The CPS would like to invite the community to take part in a number of initiatives this week as part of the celebration:
- Open House - Stop by our Crime Reduction & Community Partnerships Office, located at 330 Montreal Road, on May 18, 2023, between 3:00-7:00 pm to meet with members of the CPS, as well as our community partners. Learn more about CPS specialty units, check out our vehicles, and learn about some of the programs we have in place. A BBQ is being provided by the Optimist Club of Cornwall. Everyone is welcome!
- Bikes & Badges Registration Opens - Bikes & Badges is returning on June 3, 2023 at St. Lawrence College (2 St. Lawrence Drive, Cornwall, ON) from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. Online registration will open on Friday, May 19, 2023 on the CPS website (www.cornwallpolice.com). Attendees of our Open House mentioned above will receive early-access to register for the event as space is limited!
- Crime Prevention Programs – Throughout Police Week, the CPS will be highlighting some of the many programs that allow our community to work with police to keep our neighbourhoods safe. Watch out for the launch of a brand new and exciting program on May 19th!
- Safety Tips – Every Police Week, we look for opportunities to connect with our community and share important safety information. Throughout the week, we will be stopping into various locations, such as seniors’ residences and businesses to help spread the word about various scams, frauds and other ways residents can protect themselves, their loved ones and their property. Follow us on social media to receive some important safety tips as well.
- Send us a Compliment! – We want to hear directly from our community about the good work and positive experiences you have had with members of the CPS. Your input helps us know what we're doing well and shows our employees the significant impact they can make in our community. If you would like to send us a compliment to share with our employees, please click here.
For more information on how CPS is celebrating Police Week, please visit our website at www.cornwallpolice.com and follow us on our social media channels.